Friday, July 15, 2011

July 12, 2011 (Day 5)

Today I sported my new jersey, which was a bit snugger than I expected, but research online assured me that it was supposed to be snug to properly wick the moisture as well as avoid flapping and nipple chafing (that just sounds wrong!).  I also had a mission to pick up a couple other items we needed to give me a goal and keep from chickening out.  It all went pretty well.  I was a bit nervous without my oversized T-shirt, but frankly, once I got there, the last thing I was thinking about was what I was wearing. 
On the way home, I managed to actually stop and walk my bike back down the path by the railroad tracks then only have to be on the highway a short distance.
Addendum:
More research revealed that the seat was woefully low.  It took me a moment to figure it out, but I got it raised so that, per the internet, my leg was barely bent at its lowest point of the peddle’s circle.  I decided I should make sure it was alright for the next morning, so all decked out in my garb, I went through the neighborhood.  On the way back, I shifted gears, and the chain slipped.  I lost control but was able to find my balance and the ground with my feet.  I took a pretty hard smack to the shin from one of the peddles before putting the bike down.  Thankfully, I was within walking distance of home and was able to walk the bike there in short time.  I think it was my fault…I pushed off hard and suddenly at the stoplight that morning to exit Wal-Mart, and I felt the chain jerk slightly.  I didn’t check that aspect before taking it out again.  My guess is that it wasn’t quite right, so the whole thing came undone when I used the derailleur.  I was able to fix it and get the chain going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment