Friday, July 15, 2011

July 10, 2011 (Day 3)

Research into bicycle safety via the internet has me concluding that I need to avoid the unpredictability of a multi-purpose path where a dog could lunge at me.  I resigned myself to getting over my old fear and taking the road, so I got all decked out and, with a rush of adrenaline and a bit of terror, I entered onto the main street that cut through our subdivision and connected us to the other two in succession.  With a nice bike lane, I made my way along.  Of course, someone came out of a side cul-de-sac on her racing bike and quickly left me in the dust and feeling every bit of my inexperience, but I remained steady and steadfast as I made my way through the subdivision.  I know there are hand signals, but I can’t quite take my hands off the bars to even try.  But I stopped at all stop signs.  It was early, so there weren’t any cars as I continued along.  I have to say, I’d been disappointed that I hadn’t felt any of that true burn I was expecting to tell me I was affecting my muscles.  Holy crap, I felt that burn all across the tops of my thighs as I passed one street and continued along before turning around and heading back.  Another real cyclist passed my amateur self then sped off on a 20-mile ride, no doubt, while I made my way, winded and sweaty, back home.  It was a longer trip, and I was feeling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment