Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 29, 2013

   First, mapmyride.com is an awesome tool!  I'm using is extensively not only to get estimates of my miles and calories burned but also track my intake of food...excellent, especially since I'm only doing their free version, which also works on my iPad (with a few bugs).
   So, with heading into the final stretch of being two years since I began cycling, I ended this week with three rides but reaching 111 miles with two rides between 44 and 45 miles each!  I'm still spending a little time on the paths, but the bulk of my rides are on the roads now.  Which is how I almost got hit by a car yesterday within my first five miles!
   The light had turned red as I was heading west, so I stopped like a good cyclist should, and of course a car came up next to me.  When the light changed green, I clipped in and began forward.  No surprise, I don't accelerate as fast as the car, and a woman who's going east and turning left pulls out and clearly is paying no attention to me on my bright white bike with my bright white cuffs on my shorts and my bright white helmet...I'd become invisible!  When she finally glanced at me (did she see me yet?), I was swerving not to be hit by her.  But the worst: even as she seemed to finally look at me she didn't slow down!  Two weeks greener on the bike, and I would've probably gone down in my attempt to avoid her...  On a bike, all you have is your voice, and I found myself spewing a few epithets at her as I was pretty shaken up.  Literally as I was shaking.  It was all I could do to throw in the towel and call it good, especially when the ride before that seems to be the one I finally overdid and learned that just because I can does not mean I should.
   The previous long ride on Wednesday saw me getting out on the bike as it the temperatures were climbing (it was already 72 at 7am).  Instead of getting right to the hills, I wanted to make sure I got the distance and so started on the paths, which put me facing the hills about 30 minutes and ten minutes more than if I'd just gone straight there.  So I tackled the hills, but the problem is that I find if there's another cyclist ahead or behind me, I feel inclined to stay caught up or not be passed, so I push myself.  And I did it fine.  I was wearing out, but I was holding my own okay, huffing up the hills.  The being able to actually grab my water bottle without stopping is great to keep going (bad for not getting breaks).  As I finally reach the top of the last major hill, I reward myself by pulling over and getting a drink.  Then almost passing out!  I was dizzy and the world was fading to a tunnel!  I was that cyclist with their head down over their handlebars as I prayed that the world would stop spinning and I'd stay upright.  To their credit, several others asked me if I was okay.  I wasn't, but I laughed and said the hill kicked my butt.  Truthfully, if it hadn't been only gravel on the shoulder in an area known for snakes, I'd have lain down!  As it was, if I couldn't lift my head without wanting to vomit soon, I was going to call for a ride because the last thing I wanted was to get on only to pass out and crash.  But finally, I got enough water in me and cooled down enough to continue.  And I continued for another 20 miles, but I did run out of water in both bottles before I completely got home.  I took the next two days to recover, and when I did head out, except for nearly being hit by a car, I was super cautious about not going too hard and drinking enough.
   And yesterday's ride was also my first time going out despite a bike event...the MS150, which is an awesome cause as a fundraiser.  They cross through the west side of town, and I was worried about getting waylaid by the herds of rides.  My wife assured me that it wouldn't be a problem because they'd be spread out enough.  We were both right.  Going, I did have to wait for a few to pass before I crossed the road they were heading north on as I headed west, but they were well-spread out.  Coming back, though, I went in to head south and saw a long stretch of them and had a hard time turning off the road at the intersection because they were so bunched and so constant, plus the traffic cop seemed to have forgotten to look behind him to see cars and other cyclists waiting.  I did feel a little conspicuous as I was heading home after a long recreational, only-for-me ride while there were all these other people who were doing a ride to celebrate their collection of donations and to bring awareness to people suffering MS...made me feel a bit like a loser.  I was passed by several others out on their roadie rides, though, and they were more conspicuous, plus rude in that not a single one of them announced himself as he passed me!  I wonder when common courtesy fades as you move from being a road cyclist to a roadie?  I don't intend to find out....

No comments:

Post a Comment