Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14, 2013

   I remember last summer when I thought it was hardly worth going out if I didn't get at least twenty miles.  It was my second summer cycling, but I don't know if it was sincerely the case or if I was just making up an excuse for not going out.  I have been struggling to get out five times a week (I have to get up by no later than 5:45am to be on the bike at no later than 6:10 to be back by no later than 7:10 so my wife can head to work), but I'm doing better this year with the idea that any mileage is good mileage during the week, so about 11.5 miles a day on average has been good with the weekend being whatever I can get in.
   Along with a new outlook, I've gone back to some old routes, specifically going out onto the country road that connects to my subdivision.  It was not quite two years ago when I started going that way with my Walmart special, but I avoided it last year except to see how the hybrid handled the same route the other bike.  But I've gone back to it, and I realize now that it's actually a great route because it's a perfectly straight road with some  hills and very little traffic (which is good, because it's also got very little shoulder).  What just dawned on me this morning while on the ride, though, is it's not just a quick seven miles (round trip), but it also give me a chance to practice things like going down on the drops and pulling the water bottle without stopping--with little traffic, it doesn't matter if I swerve a little bit in trying these new mundane activities.  Of course, the other side of it reinforces the idea that I am having to learn the road bike!  And that plays into going out daily, too, I guess, because it's practicing those things so I can do it smoothly.  I know that it's a matter of learning how the center of gravity and shifting of balances work, which is what creates the learning curve I'm experiencing.
   I also switched my bike saddle...I'd bought a new one for my hybrid because the stock seat I'd put back onto it was like riding around on a giant cushion.  I've realized, though, that it's a bit sleeker, a bit firmer than the one I've been using, so I ended up switching them out, so the slightly larger and more cushioned saddle is back on the hybrid.  I'm imagining that by Christmas, I'll be ready for something sleeker, but I also want to keep a saddle with the anatomical cut-out...numbness and pain and other more serious issues don't sound appealing, and if that saddle has the best chance of avoiding these problems, then it's worth it!  Unfortunately, the more I get into it, the more expensive the items I want and need...right now, though, this saddle is working and isn't so thick-looking.  It does declare itself a Nishiki, but that's fine.
    So, here's hoping for some nice long rides this weekend!  Happy riding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment