Sunday, September 2, 2012

September 2, 2012

As always, it gets more difficult to write anything as school resumes, but I keep trying to bike.  Today was the third time that I've made it to over 40 miles, and today was a hot day, and as I headed home, I found myself going slower and slower, and that last bit of the climb before heading down to home was a bit brutal...it reminded me of my first 20-miler!  I did get to take a moment to rest because the chain guard fell off my front cogs!  I know many more experienced cyclists view having one as a bit wimpy, so I'm torn...my first reaction was to take it to Dick's to get it fixed/replaced. Oh well...I guess I can see how it works.  I just need to remember to think about shifting more....

To add to my 40 miles rides, I was able to get in a couple weeks that totaled over 100 miles.  I know that it's going to be more and more challenging with school resuming, but once it starts cooling down in the evening, maybe it'll be easier to get in at least a short ride during the week.  The weekends are a bit more challenging (in mostly good ways) because that's when the whole family is going out, and I simply can't get all of them for more than 15-20 miles, which is still awesome, especially when I have the kids in the trailer.  I actually went on a shorter ride with my wife yesterday where we went up to the local farmers' market and back, both with backpacks.  My wife couldn't believe how heavy hers was with all the vegetables, then I showed her my backpack when we got to the car...it was about the same weight, and not the first time it was so heavy (or heavier), and not even close to pulling two children in a trailer!

The thoughts of eventually getting a road bike continue to bounce around...I really don't know how much I want one because I actually want them or because there are certain rides that I've never seen anyone on a hybrid bike to do...this sport is strange about things like peer pressure, which is where I think leg shaving comes from more than anything else (no, still haven't gone that far!).

We've also used our Capital One Venture Card reward points to get a free Wii fit bundle, so for the last few weeks, I've added that to my routine, which does help during the week.  I'm surprised at how much it's actually helped!  And it's something the 3-year-old likes and can do (with some help)....so, we continue to try in all sorts of ways to get and stay fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment