Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 19, 2012

Well, it's been hovering in the low 40s, and between snow storms and getting a stomach bug and little one birthdays, I haven't been out for about three weeks (coincidentally, it was the day before the stomach bug hit).  It's funny: this time last year, I was still in the "haven't been on a bike in 25 years and couldn't care less" kick.  Now I'm itchy to get out on the bike for a little while just to get out.  Monitoring the weather, I don't know if we're always so much cooler than Denver this time of year or if it's just because I'm hoping for a day above 40, but I'm keenly aware now of the disparity!

So, I decided to bite the bullet today and got all decked out in all my thermal gear, went to the garage, and pulled my bike down off the rack.  But, lo!, it had a soft front tire!  Not a happy moment!  So I trudged back inside, changed back into sweats, and proceeded to tear off the old stock tires from both wheels and put on my new kevlar ones.  With all the practice this fall, it only took me about 45 minutes to pull off both the old tires (putting in one new tube), and put on the new ones.  Of course, by the time I was done, it was too late to try to take it for a spin on my new shiny tires.  I'm hoping that this does it to significantly decrease the number of holes in my tires!  If this doesn't work, I'll be trading in for the heavier-duty tubes.  In the meantime, yet another week will pass before I get on the bike again with snow forecast tomorrow and busy afternoons the rest of the week.  I used to love cold and snow, so I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I'm ready for spring!  The funny thing is that I put over 100 miles on the bike in January (and around 1000 miles since I started in July), but I haven't been out at all in the month of February....

No comments:

Post a Comment