Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 30, 2011

Ah, well I chickened out yesterday.  I wanted to go and even got all ready, but then I wasn't sure if I was going to end up getting too hot or too cold, so I just didn't even try.  I was a bit irritated with myself, but I planned a nice ride for today to make up for it.

Decked out in my cozy bib tights, a thermal compression shirt, jacket, full-fingered gloves, and a skullcap, I was ready to go out in 32F this morning.  I was doing well, too.  In fact, I had to take off the jacket because I was getting too warm.  I made it up my usual trails then entered onto the roads, going through some country roads tha are frequented by other cyclists.  Then I got a flat!  I didn't feel like trying to change the tire along the shoulder, so I called my wife to come rescue me.  I had about a mile's walk left to get to the small city I was meeting her at, and along the way, plenty of other cyclists passed me, but at least three actually slowed to ask me if I was okay.  One was concerned that I might be hurt, and then another wanted to make sure that I had what I needed to fix it, to which I thanked them and said I had a call out for rescue.  I'm always amazed at how friendly most cyclists are!  I am also very happy that I put my car rack on my car but ended up just biking from my house, so my wife had the car with the rack to come rescue me!

For better or worse, I'm getting quicker with the tire change, and I kept the old tube (after patching it) as a back-up...it ended up being a goat's head bur....

No comments:

Post a Comment