Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011

Wow!  An entire decade since 9/11!  I did go out on the bike this morning...I saw several people out this morning with flags on their bikes.

So, I did go out this morning and actually made it out first thing.  Thankfully, the arm and leg warmers work great, but much cooler than 45F, and I'll have to have a coat, too.  I think I have the layers I'll need when it gets colder...I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I had the bright idea I'd meet my wife at the more distant Walmart.  I actually did pretty well getting there, though I did have to stop and raise the saddle and also tighten the post...it was slipping down over time.  I'm hoping that it stays this time!  I guess I've gotten over my self-consciousness of wearing the gear as we did our shopping.  I hopped back on my bike but wasn't able to make it home in time for church.  The little ones were too tired anyway, so it was probably best. 

Since I couldn't make it home, I went ahead and tried to do my longer ride.  All went great, and I even passed a few people (as opposed to grannies on recumbant bikes passing me) along the way, but then when I got up to the further part of my route, I found a bunch of people passing me with numbers one.  I didn't know what was going on or what the racers' route was, so I turned around and headed home.  A quick Google search revealed that they were running/walking in memory of 9/11.  But they were also solidly in the way. 

My wife wanted to take another trip out, so we dropped the kids off with my folks, then we biked over to Starbucks and King Soopers then back (so, about 1 mile each way).  My wife's feeling the just starting out pain, but it's strange that I wasn't.  Something possessed me to be more modest and wear jean shorts over my bike shorts (the cheap Schwinn ones from Walmart that I started out with), but I got tired of the back pocket digging into my butt and ended up taking the jean shorts off for the trek back.  In all, I probably went about 25 miles today....

No comments:

Post a Comment